The reading order of a document is the order in which assistive technologies read and interact with the content of a document. The reading order of a PDF is defined by the order of the tags in the document structure tree.
To define the logical reading order
1. Open your PDF document with Nitro PDF Pro.
2. To check the reading order of your document, do the following:
- On the Sidebar, which appears on the left side of your document, click the Tag icon to view the document structure.
- Under Tags, go through the structure tree and compare the order in which the content in the document should be read with the order of the tags.
You can select tag by tag in the document tree with your mouse or using the arrow buttons on your keyboard. The selected content has a red outline in the document.
Important: Selecting a parent tag will outline the content of all its child tags. Therefore, it is recommended to expand the parent tag by clicking the plus icon and checking all child tags one by one.
3. To change the reading order, do the following:
Under Tags, select a tag with the left click of your mouse and drag it to the right position in the Document Structure tree.
- The black dotted line gives you an indication where the selected tag will be moved.
- Once you have found the correct position for the tag, release the left mouse button.
Tip: Moving the tag to the left will place it at a higher level in the hierarchy and moving the tag to the right will place it at a lower level.
4. Click Save on the top bar or press Ctrl+S on your keyboard to save your changes.