Microsoft Rights Management (RMS) provides a service that protects and shares files by allowing you to encrypt your sensitive documents and restrict access to approved individuals only.
At the time of writing, Microsoft RMS for individuals is offered as a free service. The following instructions detail how to set up an account and use it with Nitro Pro.
Set up an RMS Account
- Browse to https://portal.aadrm.com/ and sign up for an account. Wait to receive your password and account details before proceeding to the next step
- Browse to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38396 to download and install the Active Directory Rights Management Service Client
- Browse to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28177 to download and install the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant for IT Professionals RTW (Microsoft Office 365 user might already have this installed)
Secure a PDF file with RMS
- Open a PDF file in Nitro Pro
- On the Protect tab, in the Secure Document group, click Microsoft RMS Security
- If this is your first time using RMS integration, enter your username and password
- In the RMS Security dialog, click the Add button to grant access to a user
- Enter the email address of the user and assign the required level of permissions
- Click More to set document-level protection options like expiry and credential validation
- Click Finish to commit your settings
- In the File menu, click Save and then send the document to a user with an RMS account