Text boxes allow you to position important text clearly on the page. text boxes are always visible. Unlike sticky notes, they cannot be opened or closed.
Call outs are a type of text box that includes an arrow, which you can point to a specific location on the same page of the PDF document. This can be useful for associating a comment with a particular section of text or image.
Note: Unless otherwise stated, instructions for text boxes apply to call outs.
To add a text box comment:
- On the Review tab, in the Markup group, click on either Text Box or Call Out
- Click on the PDF document page where you wish to place the text box, and then enter your text
To edit text in an existing text box:
- Use the Hand tool, Select tool, or any Comment tool to double-click in a text box where you wish to edit text
- Edit the text
Tip: When you edit text in a text box, you can use the Format tab to change properties for font, alignment, or spacing of text.
To configure the appearance of a text box comment:
- Use the Hand tool, Select tool, or any Comment tool to right-click the text box
- In the menu, select Properties
- On the General, Appearance or Font tabs, edit properties
- Click Close
To move or resize a text box:
- To move a text box, click and drag it to the desired location. You can independently reposition the arrow on a call out by dragging its red handles.
- To resize a text box, click and drag the red handles on its edges
Tip: If the cursor is blinking inside the text box, it means it is in text-editing mode. To edit the text box properties, click outside of the text box to leave text-editing mode, then right-click the text box and choose Properties from the menu.
To set the default appearance of text boxes:
- Use the Hand tool, Select tool, or any Comment tool to right-click a text box with the desired appearance
- In the menu, select Make Current Properties Default
Note: Default properties for text boxes are independent of defaults for call outs
To delete a text box:
Use the Hand tool, Select tool, or any Comment tool to do one of the following:
- Right-click the Text Box, and in the menu, select Delete
- Click the Text Box, and press Delete