Features & Enhancements
This release of Nitro Pro delivers a lot of new enhancements and features based on direct feedback from our customers.
- Digital Signature Features and Enhancements
Improvements to Nitro Pro’s digital signature features enable users to sign and certify documents faster and more securely, without the waste of time and resources associated with printing. By introducing more complex signature permissions, document locking, and expanded support for modern digital signature methods such as DocuSign, users can leverage Nitro Pro to execute more stringent digital signature workflows, eliminating the need for additional eSignature software.
- When a document containing digital signature or certificate is opened, Nitro Pro will now display a notification so that users can quickly check validity of digital signature or certificate.
- Nitro Pro is now able to clear a digital signature on a document. Nitro Pro previously had an issue where after clearing a digital signature its appearance was still visible. This issue is now rectified.
- Nitro Pro now supports locked form fields on digital signatures. A user is able to lock all or select fields after signing a document.
- Nitro Pro had an issue where document restrictions did not refresh after clearing a digital signature or certificate. Closing and reopening a document after clearing a signature or certificate now shows correct permissions.
- Nitro Pro has an improved signature selection feature making it quick and easy to apply digital signatures on a document.
- Nitro Pro now supports all modern digital signature methods, including full support for recognizing DocuSign digital signatures.
- Nitro Pro now supports document locking after signing.
- Users are now able to clear their own signatures on a document.
- Nitro Pro now supports more complex digital signature sections of PDF specification, allowing more complex signature permissions.
- Existing signature profiles are now shown when users signing documents as Preparers or Reviewers.
- Nitro Pro now allows multiple digital signatures on a document.
- Print Scaling Settings Enhancements. Nitro Pro now retains print scaling settings in the print dialog, making print workflows faster.
- Improved Text Formatting when copying from PDF. Nitro Pro has a new feature which allows users to copy text with formatting. When text is selected, on right-click, users now have a choice to copy text with or without formatting. A keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Alt + C) has also been added to copy text with formatting to speed up users’ workflows.
- Print issues when printing with ome PLC printer drivers have been resolved. Nitro Pro had issues printing PDF to Xerox PLC Pull Print driver. Xerox PS Pull printer driver, or any other printer drivers are unaffected.
- Worksite Document Management System Integration Enhancements
- Issue when saving a document after redactions have been applied is now resolved.
- Fillable form data is now being retained when saving a document to Worksite.
- Issue allowing one document being open in two instances is now resolved.
- New Online User Guide. In-product User Guide now points to online location so that users can quickly find the most up to date documentation and helpful hints. See User guide here: http://guide.gonitro.com
- An issue with opening a document after applying redactions was resolved. Nitro Pro wasn’t able to open original document after redactions have been applied.
- An issue when opening a file where full path exceeded 259 characters causing Nitro Pro to crash is now resolved.
- Security Vulnerabilities Addressed. For more info see https://www.gonitro.com/product/downloads#securityUpdates
- ‘Auto - rotate and center pages’ option in Page Scaling settings under print menu does not work as expected. The printed document will not be rotated.
Workaround: Select ‘Use PDF page size to select paper source’ in Page Scaling settings. This will automatically rotate and center pages.
Resolved Issues & Enhancements
- Print Reduction Enhancements. Nitro Pro has updated the print dialog with a new design to help reduce printing. Before users print, they are encouraged to use alternative features in Nitro.
- Multi Window Management. Fixes and enhancements to multi-window management.
- Improved text formatting from PDF to Excel. Nitro Pro has improved formatting, when copying and pasting content from PDF to Excel.
- User Experience Enhancements
- Nitro Pro now displays a number of pages, when combining documents
- Quick-sign signature can be placed without selecting ‘Apply’
- Nitro Pro now has a default view option in Internet Explorer
- Nitro Pro now maintains printer preferences across print jobs
- Flickering cursor issue has been addressed
- Network Issues Addressed. Issue resolved with opening documents from DFS network drives.
- Worksite Improvements
- Issue resolved when saving a file as a “New Document”- the original file became disconnected from Worksite server.
- Users can now save files opened from Outlook directly to Worksite.
- A number of other fixes and enhancements
- Security Vulnerabilities Addressed. See https://www.gonitro.com/product/downloads#securityUpdates
- Issues with Document Tagging. When using Nitro Pro, users are unable to add document tags. Document tagging enables screen reading programs to interpret text correctly even after it has been re-ordered. An option ‘Enable Accessibility and Reflow with tagged PDF’ does not work, when printing a document to PDF. Nitro Pro is able to read documents created in other applications with tagged content.
- Issue with Save- As after redacting. After applying redactions and saving to a new document, Nitro Pro is not able to open the original document. When user attempts to open original document in Nitro Pro, it will fail to open and will not display an error message.
Workaround: Close and re-open Nitro Pro to be able to open the original file.
- CAD Support
- Nitro Pro now supports high quality rendering of Computer Aided Design (CAD) drawings in PDF
- Users of popular CAD software, such as Revit, AutoCAD and Microstation (among others) can now export their drawings to PDF format
- Confidential or sensitive CAD drawings can now be converted to PDF and secured with Nitro Pro’s integration with Microsoft Rights Management Services (RMS)
- Conversion Quality & Visual Fidelity Improvements
- Nitro Pro has vastly improved the quality when converting documents to PDF from a variety of formats and applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Introduction of PostScript-based document conversion to optimize PDF output quality
- Conversion to PDF now supports much greater detail; more accurate, vibrant colours and sharper lines
- Enhanced Multi-Window Management
- Nitro Pro now allows you to drag out a document from one window to create another instance of Nitro Pro – similar to ripping out tabs in popular internet browsers
- Individual pages can be dragged from one document and inserted into another document in a different instance of Nitro Pro
- A large number of Nitro Pro instances can be created to view and edit PDF documents
- Conversion Speed Performance improvements
- Major improvements in file conversion performance from Word to PDF and PowerPoint to PDF
- Worksite Integration Improvements
- Nitro Pro offers integration with the WorkSite Document Management System. Additional WorkSite functionality has been added to Nitro Pro:
- Opening a local document and saving it to WorkSite
- New Save and Save-As options (Replace Original, New Version, New Document)
- Open File dialog – showing WorkSite options
- Error reporting significantly improved
- Nitro Pro offers integration with the WorkSite Document Management System. Additional WorkSite functionality has been added to Nitro Pro:
- Dropbox API was updated to V2.
- Dropbox has shut down API V1 as of June 28th, 2017. Nitro Pro now uses Dropbox API V2. Customers who use Nitro Pro to access their Dropbox account will need to update to Nitro Pro 11.0.5.
- Security Vulnerability Addressed
- For more details see: https://www.gonitro.com/support/downloads#securityUpdates
Numerous product enhancements and bug fixes have been included in Nitro Pro 11.0.5 to improve usability and application performance
- Embedding fonts issue. Embed Subset is now a the default option. This can cause a slight increase to file size. Characters that are used in PDF document will be embedded.
- Document Tagging for PDF/A documents. If a PDF/A document with tagging is created in Nitro Pro, sometimes document content is missing. Nitro Pro is able to read PDF/A documents created in other applications. PDF/A documents without tagging, which were created in Nitro Pro work as expected.
- PDFA-1b documents appear without links, bookmarks or PDF view options, when generated using Nitro Pro printer driver.
- Multiple PDF drivers appear in Devices and Printers. When upgrading Nitro Pro to a newer version, sometimes the previous Nitro PDF printer driver is not removed.
- Imperial system conversion is incorrect in Custom Forms in Printer Preferences. When adding a custom form, width and height does not correspond to the display.
- When printing from Revit 2017 to Nitro Pro PDF printer driver, sometimes conversion does not complete. Revit 2018 works as expected.
- Drag and drop of Worksite and Cloud storage documents between Nitro Pro windows is not supported.
- For Worksite documents when using File- Save and selecting “New Document” option, the save to the new document will occur. The original document, however, will become disconnected from Worksite server. The original document may no longer be updated to Worksite without being first re-opened.
- The OmTool plugin does not support multiple instances. If you need to use Worksite and/or Sharepoint, use native integration instead.
- Issue with Bates Numbers. When saving a document as a new file after applying Bates settings, Nitro Pro is unable to open the new document.
- Bookmarks do not work as expected in multi-column document. Bookmark processing occurs top to bottom of the document making the order in the bookmarks hierarchy inaccurate. This only affects multi-column documents.
- Unable to open a PDF document from redirected network locations, e.g. DFS. Nitro Pro is launched, but the document is not opened.
- When opening a file where full path exceeds 259 characters- Nitro Pro will crash.
- When saving a file as a new document, after applying redactions, an error will occur.
- When saving a PDF file from Nitro Pro to a new version of a Worksite document that is not a PDF type, it will retain the same document type.
- When filling a form opened from Worksite, and saving it as a new document from Worksite options, the data filled is not retained.
- Issues with Digital Signature
- When more than one signature is applied, the document is locked. Additional signers are unable to sign the document.
- Nitro Pro is unable to clear digital signatures created by the document owner.
- Unable to use existing signature profiles when signing a document.
Workaround: Create standard PDF documents or PDF/A documents without tagging.
Workaround: Create standard PDF documents with Nitro Pro printer driver, navigate to Convert tab in Nitro Pro and select Convert to PDF/A- 1b.
Workaround: Uninstall previous version of Nitro Pro before installing a new one. Also, printer driver can be deleted manually from Devices and Printers in your Control Panel.
Workaround: This issue does not occur when using metric system. To switch to metric system, go to Control Panel, Clock, Language and Region, select Change date, time, or number formats, click on Additional settings, switch to metric system and click Apply.
Workaround: Use auto- generate filename in printer settings or use the latest version of Revit.
Workaround: Close the document in the window you wish to drag from and then open it in the target window.
Workaround: Close the original document and reopen it through Worksite.
Workaround: Close original file and add Bates Numbering to a new file or close and re-open Nitro Pro to be able to open the original file.
Workaround: Open Bookmarks Pane, click and drag a bookmark to re-arrange it into it’s correct position.
Workaround: Close and re-open Nitro Pro to be able to open the original file. To Apply redactions, save the file locally prior to redacting it.
Workaround: Change the document type to Acrobat prior to saving it as a new version.
Workaround: In Nitro Pro- go to File- Save As and then save it to Worksite.
Workaround: Create a new signature profile to sign a document.
- Security update. A recent Nitro Pro 10 security update has now been applied to Nitro Pro 11. More details are available here.
- Nitro Pro Customer Success data fixes. Nitro Pro usage data fixes have been applied so that certain Enterprise customers will now have more complete data.
- Improved User Experience. Nitro Pro will now show an error when combining corrupt PDF documents.
- Occasional Nitro Pro crashes. This has been resolved in this patch.
- An error appears when user tries to replace all pages in a document. This release has an issue when replacing documents that have the same number of pages.
- New or custom stamp thumbnails are appearing as blank. This release has an issue with displaying stamp thumbnails in recently used or custom section. This doesn’t affect the functionality to insert stamps.
- Nitro Pro does not behave as expected, when printing ‘Current View’ of a document. The page will print blank, or only part of the page will be printed. This affects physical printing and printing to PDF.
Workaround: Insert a blank page, replace a document and then delete the blank page.
- Support for multiple windows with new drag and drop functionality. This feature is released as a preview, requiring a registry change to enable
- New native DMS connector for Sharepoint 2013 and Alfresco based on the open-architecture CMIS standard. Nitro Pro now supports multiple servers of a single type
- Improved compare feature with more accurate detection of word level changes in text-based documents
- Improved performance in Nitro Pro for managing documents with a large number of tags
- Certain types of form fields did not display correctly in Pro 11
- Digital certificates and signatures did not work properly with certain types of card readers
- The IDAutomation font was not recognized by Nitro
- Converting certain Word documents to PDF caused an error
- Box native integration now enables you to open files from and save files to an online Box account via the Backstage menu
- Russian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese OCR modules are available for enterprise customers
- Nitro for Enterprise user interface has been optimized for both perpetual and subscription modes
- Auto-repaired files no longer trigger a Save As dialog box
- Enterprise deployment utility redundant options have been removed
- Batch processing and print workflows trigger usage tracking events
- Nitro Pro Enterprise could revert to Trial Mode after an update
- Nitro PDF Creator was sometimes removed upon an upgrade from a prior version of Nitro Pro to a new one
- Dropbox user limit that prevented certain users from connecting their Dropbox accounts has been removed
- Special characters were not displayed correctly in cloud storage file menus
- Unicode characters were not displayed correctly in certain combo boxes
- Localization builds are now available after being updated with translations for new strings
- Localization improvements - major items include:
- Truncation of options within dropdown menus
- Dialog items overlapping and not aligned
- Default profiles for Headers and Footers, Watermarks and Scan Profiles were not translated
- Certify Profile Wizard would crash Nitro Pro during certain scenarios
- PDF Forms with specific configurations would cause Nitro Pro to crash when loaded
- Scrolling through pages using the slider while in Single Page View could lead to a crash
- Search results that were continually scrolled through multiple times could cause a crash
- Hyperlinks were not being processed correctly when converting PowerPoint files to PDF
- Word add-in would display an error message when trying to convert Word document using a custom page size to PDF
- Export to Word function was not overwriting existing files when requested during the export process
- Export to Word function would sometimes not have the correct page numbers in the footers of the output
- Bookmarks that were not created following the PDF specification were causing Nitro Pro to freeze
- Edit Links would cause a crash on specific file that contained link objects without a defined rectangle
- Outlook add-in caused a conflict with NFS Meeting Room Outlook plugin
- Upgraded Interface maintains the Microsoft Office 2016 look and feel with new color schemes and icons
- Customize Tools feature allows you to place up to 5 of your favorite tools onto the Home ribbon for easy access
- Smart Tips will present themselves based on your usage which will either provide information, or recommended options to help with your workflow
- Dropbox, OneDrive & Google Drive online storage systems are now directly integrated into the Open and Save backstage menus, allowing you to browse your accounts for PDF files without leaving Nitro's UI
- Microsoft RMS 2 supported via compatibility with Protected PDF (.ppdf) filetype
- Booklet Printing will automatically place your pages in the correct order when printing, ready for easy folding and binding
- Print dialog moved to backstage, providing a larger print preview and following Microsoft Office's print workflow
- Ribbon layout has been re-designed for better categorization of the available tools
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) has new pre-and-post processing techniques to provide better results
- Launch speed has been boosted due to changes in how Nitro loads its plugins
- PDF Creation speed has been significantly increased
- Opening files via mapped/network drives is now much faster
- DMS Connector now supports SharePoint 365
- Enhance Thin Lines option in preference to allow improved rendering of cell borders at varying zoom levels
- Nitro PDF Creator was unable to install due to Microsoft Update 3170455
- Increased program stability due to specific internal changes to the source code
- Batch OCR processing would cause a spike in memory
- XFA compatibility improvements - major items include:
- 24-hour time/date fields were not allowing the correct value to be entered
- Radio and Checkbox buttons were not functioning on certain PDF files
- Barcode fields not being printed when the file has not been scrolled through
- File operations for files opened via network locations now have increased stability, causing a reduction of error code 0x400D003B
- Detect text orientation setting when making a document seachable via OCR would rotate the scanned image incorrectly for particular PDF files, cutting off content
- PDF creation from Autodesk 2016 would misalign and render text incorrectly
- Select Tool was not selecting and pasting data that was in columns into the logical order
- Font Substitution was replacing Arial Bold with Arial Black font when font embedding was not used in the PDF
- Stamps were showing up blank if the source file was created via Nitro's Word addin
- Conversion Optimization setting was set to "Web Ready" by default for the Offcie addins instead of "Office Ready"
- Barcode - 'Compress before encoding' checkbox corrupts barcode on mobile scanners
- Print Current View for PDF with large paper size dimensions would incorrectly show the current view
- SharePoint "Required Fields" were not being prompted when saving a file via the DMS Connector
- Advanced Search was not displaying ampersand character in the search results field