Nitro Terms of Service
Revised: December 1st, 2017
IMPORTANT -- THIS AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT”) IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU (EITHER AN INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY) (“LICENSEE”, “YOU” OR "YOUR") AND NITRO SOFTWARE, INC. (“NITRO”). BY USING THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SOFTWARE HEREIN DESCRIBED, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTAND IT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS. IF YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF AN ENTITY, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT TO NITRO THAT YOU HAVE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO BIND THAT ENTITY.
1. Your Agreement with Nitro.You are agreeing to use one or more of Nitro’s cloud-based document management services, which may be referred to individually or collectively herein as the "Service(s)", and/or Nitro’s document management software ("Software"). The Service and the Software may not be error free. Therefore, You are advised to safeguard important data, to use caution and not to rely on the correct functioning or performance of the Service or Software. Although Nitro will use reasonable efforts to provide technical support (assuming you have paid any applicable fees), it provides no assurance that any specific errors in the Service or Software will be corrected.
2. License Grant and RestrictionsSubject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and depending upon whether during sign-up and/or purchase process you have agreed to use the Service and/or the Software on a subscription basis or to receive a perpetual license to use the Software, Nitro grants to You:
- a non-exclusive, non-transferable license (without right to sublicense) to use the Service and/or Software for the term of this Agreement; and/or
- a non-exclusive, non-transferable, perpetual license (without right to sublicense) to use the Software.
- modify or create any derivative works of the Service or Software;
- copy any portion of the Service or Software;
- sublicense or, unless You have signed up for an account that permits more than one user (in which case You agree not to exceed the permitted number of users), permit use of the Service or Software by more than one user;
- reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Software (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction); or
- use the Service or Software in a timesharing, hosting or service bureau arrangement, or otherwise transfer rights to the Service or Software.
3. Your Account and Use of the Service or Software.You may be required to create an account to participate in the Service and/or use the Software. If You are entering into this Agreement on behalf of an entity, You represent and warrant that the entity will utilize the Services and/or Software under a single account. You agree not to impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent Your identity or affiliation with any person or entity, including using another person's username, password or other account information. You are responsible for the security of Your password and for any use of Your account. You also agree to notify us promptly at firstname.lastname@example.org of any unauthorized use of Your username, password, other account information, or any other breach of security that You become aware of involving or relating to the Service or Software.
If there is a fee associated with your use of the Service or Software, You agree to pay that fee. The fee charged excludes all applicable taxes and currency exchange settlements, unless stated otherwise. You are solely responsible for paying such taxes or other charges. Nitro may suspend or cancel Your access to the Service or Software if Nitro does not receive payment from You. Suspension or cancellation for non-payment may result in a loss of access to and use of Your account. To pay any fees, You will be asked to provide a payment method at the time you sign up with Nitro. You agree to keep your billing account information current at all times. By providing Nitro with Your payment method, You (a) represent that You are authorized to use the payment method that You provided and that any payment information You provide is true and accurate; and (b) authorize Nitro to charge You using Your payment method and to charge You for any paid feature that You choose to sign up for or use while this Agreement is in effect. You acknowledge and agree that Nitro may bill you on a recurring basis for Services that You purchase on a subscription basis. If You take part in any trial offer, You must cancel the Services by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring charges, unless Nitro notifies You otherwise. Nitro may change the price it charges for the Services at any time and will notify You in advance of such changes. If You do not agree to the price change, You must cancel and stop using the Services before the price change takes effect. If there is a fixed term and price for your Services offer, that price will remain in force for that term. Unless otherwise provided by law or by a particular Service offer, all purchases are final and non-refundable.
In Your use of the Service or Software, You agree to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. You shall, in connection with Your use of the Service or Software, comply with all applicable import, export and re-export control laws and regulations of any country, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations, Council Regulation (EC) No 428/2009 on the control of exports of dual-use items and technology, and country-specific economic sanctions programs or embargoes adopted against countries or individuals under any applicable national or international legislation, including any measures implemented by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control. For clarity, You are solely responsible for compliance related to the manner in which You choose to use the Service or Software, including Your transfer and processing of Your content via the Service or Software.
For U.S. Government users, the Software is a “Commercial Item(s),” as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. Section 2.101, consisting of “Commercial Computer Software” and “Commercial Computer Software Documentation,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. Section 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. Section 227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. Section 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. Sections 227.7202 1 through 227.7202 4, as applicable, the Commercial Computer Software and Commercial Computer Software Documentation are being licensed to U.S. Government users (a) only as Commercial Items and (b) with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
You agree that You will not:
- violate, infringe, or misappropriate other people's intellectual property, privacy or other legal rights;
- post or share anything that is illegal, abusive, harassing, or otherwise objectionable;
- transmit any viruses or other computer instructions or technological means that disrupt, damage, or interfere with the use of computers or related systems; or
- attempt to circumvent any technological measure implemented by Nitro.
You may not access the Service other than through the interfaces provided by Nitro or interfere with or disrupt the proper operation of the Service.
4. Support and UpdatesSubject to Licensee’s payment of the corresponding fees (if any), Nitro shall provide reasonable technical support. Licensee shall provide Nitro with such technical information and assistance as Nitro may reasonably request in order for it to provide support. Subject to Licensee’s payment of the corresponding fees (if any), Nitro shall provide the Licensee with updates, enhancements and maintenance modifications as they become available.
5. Feedback/Use of Licensee’s NameYou agree, at your sole discretion, to provide to Nitro suggestions, comments and feedback regarding the Service or Software, including but not limited to usability and bug reports (collectively, "Feedback"). If You provide such Feedback to Nitro, You hereby grant Nitro the following worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, fully paid up rights to: make, use, copy, modify, sell, distribute, publicly perform or display, sublicense (including the right to sublicense to further third parties), and create derivative works of the Feedback as part of any Nitro product, technology, service, specification or documentation (individually and collectively, "Nitro Products"). You warrant that Your Feedback is not subject to any license or other terms that would purport to require Nitro to comply with any additional obligations with respect to any Nitro Products that incorporate any Feedback.
Nitro may use Licensee’s name and/or logos to identify Licensee as a Nitro licensee in its general marketing materials or otherwise.
6. Unauthorized UseYou agree to use reasonable efforts to cooperate with and assist Nitro in identifying and preventing any unauthorized use, copying, or disclosure of the Service or the Software.
7. Nitro Proprietary RightsNitro and any of its licensors own all proprietary rights in and to the Service and the Software. The Service and any Software provided to you is licensed and not sold. Except as expressly provided herein, Nitro retains all rights and does not grant any express or implied right to You under any Nitro patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information.
8. Modification and Termination of the ServiceNitro may place limits on, modify, suspend or terminate the Service generally, may remove or disable access to any content posted by You in using the Service and may suspend or terminate Your use of the Service or terminate this Agreement at any time, including as a result of Your use of the Service that Nitro reasonably deems to be excessive, which may include usage that substantially and repeatedly exceeds the typical levels of usage by other users of same category/tier of Service. Notwithstanding anything else in this Agreement, this suspension or termination may result in the immediate deletion of Your documents, information, files, and other previously available content. Nitro is under no obligation to return any content to you. If Nitro terminates the Service, Your use of the Service or this Agreement, the rights and licenses granted to You under this Agreement shall immediately terminate (except that You may continue to use any Software as provided in Section 2(ii) in all instances other than termination of this Agreement as a result of Your breach) and You shall immediately cease using the Service. In addition to those provisions that survive according to their terms, Sections 3 through 15 shall continue to be effective after termination of this Agreement. If Nitro terminates the Service, Your use of the Service or this Agreement, the rights and licenses granted to You under this Agreement shall immediately terminate (except that You may continue to use any Software licensed on a perpetual basis as provided in Section 2 in all instances other than termination of this Agreement as a result of Your breach) and You shall immediately cease using the Service. In addition to those provisions that survive according to their terms, Sections 3 through 15 shall continue to be effective after termination of this Agreement.
9. Changes to this AgreementNitro may change this Agreement and will post the modified agreement (which shall then become the Agreement) on Nitro’s website. Therefore, Nitro encourages you to check the terms of this Agreement from time to time to see if they have been updated. If You do not agree to the modified agreement, Your sole recourse is to stop using the Service and/or Software. Your continued use of the Service or Software after the date the modified agreement is posted will constitute Your acceptance of the modified agreement.
10. Indemnification by NitroDuring the Term, Nitro shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless Licensee and its officers, directors, employees, Users, successors and assigns, from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, settlements, reasonable costs and expenses resulting from or arising out of any third-party claim, demand, or cause of action which alleges that the Licensed Products infringe any duly issued patent, copyright or trademark or misappropriate any trade secret right of a third party (“Claim”). Licensee shall provide Nitro with prompt written notice of any Claim and permit Nitro to control the defense, settlement, adjustment or compromise of such Claim. Licensee shall have no authority to settle any Claim on behalf of Nitro. In addition, in the event use of the Licensed Products during the Term becomes, or in Nitro’s reasonable opinion is likely to become, the subject of a claim of infringement as outlined in this Section 10, Nitro may, at its option and expense: (a) obtain for Licensee the continuing right to use such Licensed Products; or (b) modify the Licensed Products or replace them with a substantially functional equivalent so that they no longer infringe; or (c) if neither (a) nor (b) is reasonably practicable, terminate Licensee’s license to such allegedly infringing Services and/or Software and refund to Licensee any unused pre-paid fees paid to Nitro, in which case this Agreement and Licensee’s right to use the Services and/or Software will terminate. This Section 10 states Nitro’s entire liability and Licensee’s exclusive remedy with respect to any claim of intellectual property infringement.
11. Indemnification by LicenseeYou will defend, indemnify and hold harmless Nitro, its affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors and any third-party providers, from and against all claims, losses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising from any third-party claim against Nitro related to Your use of the Service or Software, including any document or content You submit to the Service.
12. Exclusion of WarrantiesLICENSEE ACKNOWLEDGES AND UNDERSTANDS THAT THE SERVICE AND ANY SOFTWARE MAY CONTAIN ERRORS, OMISSIONS, AND PROBLEMS. LICENSEE HEREBY ACCEPTS THE SERVICE AND SOFTWARE, "AS IS" AND WITH ALL FAULTS, DEFECTS AND ERRORS AND LICENSEE UNDERSTANDS THAT IT ASSUMES ALL RISKS OF USE, QUALITY, AND PERFORMANCE. NEITHER NITRO NOR ANY OF NITRO'S LICENSORS MAKE ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES, AND EACH OF THEM DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
13. Limitation of LiabilityLICENSEE AGREES AND ACKNOWLEDGES THAT NEITHER NITRO NOR ANY OF ITS LICENSORS MAY BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, LOSS, DAMAGES, EXPENSES OR COSTS OF AN INDIRECT NATURE, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS OR OTHERWISE AND IN NO EVENT SHALL THEY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT OF FEES PAID TO NITRO BY LICENSEE (IF ANY) UNDER THIS AGREEMENT DURING THE IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING SIX MONTHS. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES TO ALL CAUSES OF ACTION OR CLAIMS IN THE AGGREGATE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, INDEMNITY, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, MISREPRESENTATION AND OTHER TORTS. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION APPLY TO YOU ONLY TO THE EXTENT THEY ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION.
THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS INTENDED TO APPLY WITHOUT REGARD TO WHETHER OTHER PROVISIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT HAVE BEEN BREACHED OR HAVE PROVEN INEFFECTIVE OR IF A REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF THE ABOVE LIMITATION WERE NOT INCLUDED HEREIN, NITRO WOULD NOT LICENSE THE SERVICE OR SOFTWARE TO YOU.
14. Ethical Business ConductNitro is committed to integrity and high standards of business conduct in everything it does, especially in its dealings with its customers, suppliers and contractors. As a result, Nitro supports and agrees to abide by the following principles:
- to obey the applicable laws and regulations governing its business conduct worldwide, including in its hiring practices and laws and regulations related to anti-discrimination and forced, compulsory or child labor;
- to be honest, fair and trustworthy in its relationships and not to engage in corruption in any form, including extortion and bribery; and
- to strive to create a safe workplace and to protect the environment and through leadership at all levels, to sustain a culture where ethical conduct is recognized and valued.
15. General Legal TermsThis Agreement is the entire agreement between You and Nitro related to the Service and/or Software, replacing any prior agreements. Nitro's licensors may be third party beneficiaries to this Agreement. There are no other third-party beneficiaries to this Agreement. The parties to this Agreement are independent contractors, and nothing in this Agreement creates an agency, partnership, or joint venture. You shall not assign this Agreement, by operation of law or otherwise. Nitro may assign this Agreement, subject to all of the terms of this Agreement.
Failure to enforce any provision will not constitute a waiver of that provision. If any provision of this Agreement is found unenforceable, it and any related provisions will be interpreted to best accomplish the unenforceable provision's essential purpose and, in any event, the remainder of the Agreement shall be unaffected. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce its rights hereunder shall be entitled to recover reasonable attorneys’ fees and other reasonable costs incurred in the action or proceedings.
You may only resolve disputes with Nitro on an individual basis, and may not bring a claim as a plaintiff or a class member in a class, consolidated, or representative action.
This Agreement shall be governed by California law without regard to any conflict of laws principles.