Who We Are: Our Beliefs
We make documents smarter! At Nitro, we are changing the way the world works with documents, and leading the digital transformation of the world’s largest companies. Today Nitro is a prominent document productivity solution, the #1 replacement of Adobe Acrobat and a leading eSignature solution. We are leveraging our success to build the next generation smart document platform that is revolutionizing document productivity, corporate security and sustainability. With your help, we will extend our smart document platform and eventually leverage artificial intelligence to solve some huge problems with the data currently locked away in billions of documents.
Why Nitro Engineering:
Engineering is a critical function at Nitro, developing the products and services at the heart and soul of our business today, and helping us realize our vision of smarter documents in the future. We have an incredibly talented and diverse Engineering team that cares, with a strong culture that believes in building the right things, and building them the right way.
- Our products are used by over 650K businesses and 30M users
- We work with cutting edge technology
- Quarterly Hack Weeks!
- Paperwork sucks - we make people’s lives better
- We digitally transform the world’s largest companies
- We save the planet and trees by reducing printing and paper
- We are a smart, passionate team with a truly unique culture
- Monopolies are bad
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead and grow the Nitro Pro engineering organization in our Dublin, Ireland office. The selected leader will primarily focus on our renowned Nitro Pro application, while also assisting in future areas of growth (Platform Services, Analytics, Data Science...). On top of an ability to build and run a growing engineering team, this role requires a strong technical background and large scale problem solving abilities.
This role will be based in Dublin, Ireland (relocation available), serves as a key member of Nitro’s Product Leadership Team, and reports to Nitro’s VP Engineering.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Engineering Team Leadership
- Lead a strong Engineering team that values high performance, be good, and no bullshit with focus on ownership, autonomy and high output to achieve goals.
- Manage the growth of a software Engineering team from 8 to 20 (team of teams)
- Own and live Nitro Engineering’s mission, values and culture
- Direct and inspire your team to build large scale enterprise desktop solutions used by over 650,000 businesses and millions of users.
- Collaborate cross-functionally in a geographically distributed organization to ensure the success of the team
- Recruit and retain top engineering talent in competitive markets
- Mentor and coach engineers; develop great engineering leads / managers; be someone others want to follow
- Set vision, inspire and motivate, make decisions, and ensure the team delivers
- Drive continuous improvement and operational excellence; be a change agent
- Balance people, process and practices with quality, scope and time.
- Evangelize Nitro; be a local community steward
- Communicate and lead effectively across all of Nitro, including both technical and non-technical audiences
- Drive Nitro’s technical vision, architecture and technology roadmap
- Prove yourself as a strong technical leader; gain credibility and trust with highly skilled engineers; guide technical discussions and tradeoff decisions
- Establish strong product planning, estimation and processes that balance delivery, quality and timeframes.
- Mentor and direct legacy codebase refactoring to continually enhance the product value to customers
- Inspire, guide and mentor technological change to make our products better for our customers.
- Inspire and mentor your team to leverage existing code to create new product opportunities on other platforms and paradigms.
- Leverage your experience with some or all of the following:
- Modern C++ and the standard library
- Microsoft development tools including MSVC and MFC
- Desktop installed enterprise software solutions
- Win32 and Win64 APIs (including ActiveX/COM components)
- Virtual environments
- TDD & BDD test methodologies
- Agile methodologies
- Document, image and/or computer vision processing
- Delivery of SaaS products at global scale
- Cloud platforms, AWS in particular
- Identify and report on critical technology and product health metrics
- A University degree in Computer Science or similar technical field
Nitro is changing the way the world works with documents. As the global leader in document productivity solutions, Nitro enables people to work smarter every day with their documents, on the desktop and in the cloud. From PDF creation, conversion, editing and reviewing capabilities, to cloud-enabled workflows for secure sharing, collaboration and electronic signatures, Nitro offers best-in-class solutions that every knowledge worker in an organization should use to improve productivity, document security and corporate sustainability.
Founded in 2005, Nitro’s enterprise-grade solutions are now trusted by more than 650,000 leading businesses worldwide, including over half of the Fortune 500. One of the fastest-growing private companies in the world, Nitro is also a multiple Inc. 500/5000, BRW Fast 100, Deloitte Technology Fast 50, and Software 500 award winner. Headquartered in San Francisco, Nitro also has offices in Dublin, Ireland and Melbourne, Australia.