Director of Data Engineering
Who We Are:
Nitro is an exciting, high-growth company in the rapidly evolving digital documents space. Our value proposition is straightforward, tangible, and easy to prove – we believe software technology should be easy to use, help make people better, and be accessible to any knowledge worker who wants to be more productive.
We are on a mission. We hire creative, intelligent, talented people. We build great products that delight our customers. And we are doing it in a rewarding way– a way that feels good and makes us proud to be part of Nitro.
We put people at the center of everything we do, both our customers and our employees. It all comes back to our core values:
· High Performance - We have a “performance first” orientation and ambitious plans for the company. This means ample opportunity for those who join us to make a big impact.
· Be Good - We hire people with big hearts and foster an environment where they can be themselves and do their best work. We celebrate individuality and diversity and provide our employees with the opportunities, the resources and the support they need to thrive and flourish.
· No BS – this one is self-explanatory
We help the world work smarter and have plenty of fun while doing it! Come be part of the Nitro good life!
Why Nitro Engineering:
Engineering is a critical function at Nitro, developing the products and services at the heart and soul of our business today, and helping us realize our vision of smarter documents in the future. We have an incredibly talented and diverse Engineering team with a strong culture that believes in building the right things, and building them the right way.
We are looking for a Director of Data Engineering to lead and grow our data (Engineering & Science) organisation. This is a key leadership role that will help to build and drive the vision, strategy and execution of Nitro’s data and analytics efforts. You will play a key role in ensuring that the data team is aligned with the business’s mission, strategies and objectives and setting the appropriate goals and objectives within our data roadmap. On top of an ability to grow and run a distributed engineering team, this role requires a strong technical background working with data architectures, big data processing and familiarity with the application of data science techniques. As our data team is still growing and maturing, this is a wonderful opportunity to not only build products and data services but to also build and grow the team and people involved.
The occupant of this role will serve as a key member of Nitro’s Product Leadership Team, and reports to Nitro’s VP of Engineering.
What You’ll Be Doing:
· Providing the data team with vision for all data activities within Nitro
· Making data and information accessible to all departments and personnel across the business
· Providing expertise and consulting on all major data-related initiatives within Nitro
· Enabling performance by utilizing the data already available to the business
· Driving enhanced performance through new data sources and the innovative application of analysis
· Leading a strong data team that values high performance, be good, and no bullshit with focus on ownership, autonomy and high output to achieve goals.
· Owning and living Nitro Engineering’s mission, values and culture
· Building large scale distributed systems, platforms and services
· Collaborating across groups in a geographically distributed organization to ensure the success of Nitro
· Recruiting and retaining top data talent (Engineers & Data Scientists) in competitive markets
· Driving continuous improvement and operational excellence
· Evangelizing Nitro; be a local community steward
· Communicating and leading effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
· 7+ years of experience in data engineering – 3+ in a leadership role
· Experience and technical knowledge of complex (and simple) data architectures
· Detailed knowledge of the concepts and principles of data engineering
· Sound awareness of Data Management best practice, data lifecycle management
· Solid understanding of the application of data science techniques in a commercial environment
· Experience delivering complex big data solutions with structured and unstructured data.
· Experience with large-scale data processing frameworks (e.g. Spark, EMR) and data pipelines
· Experience with event driven and streaming architectures
· Enthusiasm & a growth mindset (research and prototyping are a big part of this job)
· A self-driven and delivery focused attitude
· Security: NIST, SOC 2 Type 2, Privacy Shield, GDPR, etc.
· BS/MS in Computer Science or similar technical field
Nitro is a global document productivity company. We help organizations of all sizes eliminate paper, accelerate business processes, and drive digital transformation by providing PDF productivity and eSigning for all in a single, affordable solution. Founded in 2005 in Melbourne, Australia, Nitro helps increase efficiency and make work more productive for more than 10,000 businesses globally, including 65% of the 2019 Fortune 500. Nitro headquarters are in San Francisco, with offices in Dublin, London, and Melbourne. Visit us at GoNitro.com #LI-GB1